Class 2 Instructional Permit
To apply for a class 2 Instruction Permit, the applicant must be at least fifteen (15) years and six (6) months of age. All applicants must present original or certified copies from our Hawaii Acceptable Documents Checklist
to prove the following:
TEMPORARY INSTRUCTION PERMIT
- Proof of Legal Name
- If your current name is different from the name shown on any document
(examples: due to marriage, divorce, adoption, name change,
naturalization certificate), you are required to provide "connecting documents" to establish the link between the names.
- Proof of Legal Presence
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Date of Birth
- If the applicant is under eighteen (18) years of age:
- Birth Certificate is required
- An Affidavit must be submitted in connection with the desire of the aforesaid child to secure a license to drive. This affidavit must be witnessed by a person authorized to administer oaths and must signed as follows:
- If both the father and mother of the applicant have custody, both the father and mother must sign the affidavit
- If only one parent has custody of the applicant, that custodial parent must sign
- If neither parent has custody of the applicant and the applicant has a custodial guardian(s), all the custodial guardian(s) must sign
- If neither parent has custody of the applicant and the applicant has no custodial guardian(s), a responsible person who is willing to assume the obligation may sign
The person(s) who signed shall be jointly and severally liable with the minor applicant for any damages caused by such negligence or misconduct
- Drivers under 18 are required to take driving lessons from a driver’s education program certified by the Hawaii Department of Transportation. If you are between 16 and 18 years old, and you want to be able to take the road test, you must have practiced driving on your learner’s permit for 90 days and you must have earned a Driver Education Student Completion Certificate and a Behind the-Wheel Student Completion Certificate before you can schedule a road test.
- Proof of Principal Residence
- Pass the required vision test
- Pass a 25 question multiple choice written examination. If you obtain more than 5 errors, you will fail the examination and will be required to wait seven days before you are eligible to retake the examination. The appropriate examination fee will be collected before the test is administered. Failure to pass the examination shall not be grounds for a refund. Please refer to Driver Licensing Offices for hours of issuance of exams
- Payment of the appropriate fees. Refer to the 2014 Maui County Fee Chart.
You must have a motorcycle instruction permit when learning to operate a moped, motorcycle, or motor scooter on the public highways. Such permit will be issued to you when you have satisfactorily completed the preliminary tests and have met all other requirements. You cannot carry passengers or operate a motorcycle during the hours of darkness while learning to ride under a permit. Your permit may be renewed if you have taken a skill test prior to the expiration of the motorcycle instruction permit. If your permit expires before you take a skill test at least once, you must wait three months before applying for another motorcycle instruction permit.